Diversification Based on Irrigation (DBI) Project initiate in 5 potential spot of Sambalpur District by ADARSA with the support of Jamsedji Tata Trust Mumbai (JDTT). Village level survey, promotion of water injure group and Krushak Club, Village survey, forest survey of DBI are completed in 3 villages. They are as Baglat village of Jamankira Block, Kushamura and Deopali village Tangjharan, Hatidahala of Jujumura Block. Villages are in in all the side, villagers took their own initiative for digging drain of 3feet 5 inch deep by their own effort. The side will be readily available to provide water for agriculture, consumption and sanitization used at the end of July.
The DBI is an alternative system of irrigation that would be implemented to provide irrigation both during Kharif and Rabi season. In this system of irrigation, the farmers would not have any regular operational cost because it doesn't require any external energy. This would provide the first-generation farmers an incentive to take up improved agriculture. The scheme would also provide water near to their homesteads for household consumption and facilitating kitchen garden. Their capacity is to be gradually enhanced to help them achieve food sufficiency and have surplus cash income to meet their other expenses, it is developed as a model to: sensitize government and other agencies to take up similar projects in the district.
Objectives of the Project:
- To bring an additional acre of land under Kharif, Rabi and Summer through pipe flow gravity irrigation system.
- To build the capacities of farmers to take up improved irrigated agriculture during Kharif and Rabi season.
- To create employment opportunity to control migration of labour.
- To Boosting food production at least two folds in the same land.
- To improve the socio-economic condition of the project area those who mainly depends on agriculture.
- Community mobilization
- Survey, Design and Estimate preparation
- Implementation of the program
- Capacity building training and exposure Visit
- Input support to farmers
- Improved agricultural practices
- Documentation and evaluation
- Coordination and linkages with line departments