VDMP (Village Disaster Management Plan) with its development of disaster management plan at the village level aims at building the capacity and resilience of the community to equip them with the skills so that management of various hazards becomes a way of life for them. It would help the local community to prepare for and respond to disaster effectively. The specific objectives of VDMP are to:
- Involve the local community in the entire planning process
- Create the plan that will enable the intermediate deployment of resources in an organised manner during an emergency
- Create a plan that will allow for quick and immediate response in the event of a disaster by the community
- Ensure that there is an ownership of the plan within the community
- Link the VDMP to the long-term development plan of the village
Key Players concerned with Plan Development:
The plan will be made by members of the village community irrespective of class, creed, and occupational status, supported and facilitated by community specialists from NGOs, multilateral agencies and government officials. These persons have the requisite authority and skill to motivate the community, conduct the meetings and encourage as participatory approach.
Various teams involved in the VDMP process includes:
- Early waring and Dissemination team
- Evacuation, Search and Rescue team
- Medical and First Aid team
- Shelter Management team
- Water & Sanitation team
- Relief and Coordination team
- Carcasses Disposal team
- Trauma Counselling team
- Damage and Loss Assessment team
Role of VDMC:
a) Key VDMC functions in CBDRM
- Village level hazard mapping.
- Conduction of village disaster risk assessment.
- Analysis of disaster risk based on the assessment and prioritize the key activities to be undertaken to undertake disaster risk mitigation measures.
- Identification and prioritization of critical community infrastructure needed for the disaster risk mitigation measures.
- Formulation of project implementation committees.
- Coordination with UDMCs and sharing of information needed to plan CBDRM activities.
b) Preparedness functions of VDMC
- Share community Disaster Risk Management Plan (DRMPs) with all members of the Community.
- Conduct disaster preparedness training with VDMC members.
- Raise community awareness on what to do before, during, and after a disaster.
- Monitor disaster threats, conduct drills, and draw lessons to improve the plan.
- Expand membership and involvement in disaster risk management committees and activities.
c) Emergency functions of VDMC
- Issue warnings in case of emergencies.
- Manage evacuations at village level.
- Organize search and rescue with community participation at village level.
- Conduct Damage Assessment at village level and report damages and needs to government and disaster management agencies for assistance as per Government designed reporting formats and criteria.
- Coordinate, plan, and implement emergency relief delivery operations with DDMA, civil defense and other local agencies and UDMCs.
d) Recovery functions of VDMC
- Ensure that risk reduction measures are integrated during construction and rehabilitation of critical community infrastructures.
- Evaluate the performance of VDMC capacity and effectiveness to promote community safety.
- Coordinate with UDMCs for the implementation of different recovery measures.
ADARSA received VDMP project on 10th September 2019 in 3 out of 9 blocks in Sambalpur namely Jujumura, Dhankoda and Rengali. In Dhankoda it covers 12 villages and in Jujumura and Rengali 11 villages each totalling 34 villages. In these villages committee formation is done till now with training yet to be given.